Summer is a period of hot, dry and at times humid climatic conditions, often symbolised by the rising levels of mercury, the scorching sun above the head, makes the body dehydrated and lethargic. The body is in need of foods that will lower the temperature of the body and make us feel energetic. Let’s understand what are best food for summer season? Below we will discuss about food that are a blessing in summer season.
- Soothing to the stomach and helps in improving the immune system to withstand the summer heat.
- An antidote of probiotic bacteria and antioxidants.
- Nutrient dense with the rich supply of nutrients like protein, calcium,Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D.
- Can be consumed as it is or in the form of buttermilk or lassi or can be squashed with fresh fruits to make smoothies.
- Crisp, cool and nutritionally dense that is packed with nutrients like Vitamin K,Vitamin C, Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin B6, Folate, pantothenic acid, iron, and phosphorus.
- Has fibre that prevents constipation and has got 95% of water content in it that keeps you as cool as itself. Consume it daily in this hot season.
Coconut water has mono-saccharine, carbohydrates, simple sugar with electrolytes and essential minerals which keeps the body hydrated. Coconut water is a great thirst-quencher, especially during summer.
- Watermelon is juicy and refreshing and is loaded with nutrients. Watermelon contains antioxidants and contains lycopene in highest concentration.
- Watermelon is rich in Vitamin B which is essential for energy production. It is also rich in electrolytes, sodium, and potassium which will keep you going.
Mint is a simple, easily available, inexpensive herb which you can add to your curd to make pudina raita or have it in the form of chutneys besides using it in dips. Though it does not help directly in bring down the body temperature, it’s used for its delicious and refreshing taste.
It has got a lot of potassium and it replenishes the fluid that is lost from the body due to sweating. When we sweat the minerals like potassium and sodium also comes out which reduces the nervous coordination. Intake of bananas helps to get back the minerals food for summer season.
The red onions, in particular, are very rich in quercetin, which has natural anti-histamine effect. Histamine is a type of irritant that causes rashes in the heat and sweat. In summer, due to scorching rays of the sun we tend to get allergies and adverse reactions. Eating onions will stop these complaints. Onions add to taste in curries. Consuming lots of onion in summer prevents body against sunstroke.
Consuming aerated drinks during the summer is a bad option as it adds on empty calories. Experts say that water is always a smarter choice. Water keeps the body cool and prevents dehydration. It also helps one avoid putting on unnecessary calories. Apart from water Fresh lime juice and coconut water is also a great thirst-quencher, especially during summer.
The simple lime water or nimboo pani is not only refreshing; it also has health benefits. You can have it sweet, salted or add a dash of black salt and cumin powder to it. Have it chilled and beat the heat. Fresh lime juice is a great thirst-quencher, especially during summer.
Summer is the best season for a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables; make the most of them. Include at least two servings of fruits and vegetables to your daily diet. Fruit smoothies and milkshakes are easy to make. Just toss some fruits and milk into your blender and you have a healthy and filling snack. Pan-roasted fresh vegetables or innovative salads are also a tasty option without being heavy on the tummy.