Broccoli is an edible green plant in the cabbage family whose large, flowering head is eaten as a vegetable. It offers innumerable health benefits. Being low in calories, high in fibre and rich in nutrients makes it an excellent choice for those who want to fight the extra kilos.
Here are some of the benefits of broccoli:
• Fights Cancer: Broccoli shares these cancer fighting, immune boosting properties with other cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage.
• Cholesterol reduction: Like many whole foods, broccoli is packed with soluble fiber that draws cholesterol out of your body.
• Aids in Weight Loss: Increased Fibre intake has also been shown to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels, improve insulin sensitivity, and enhance weight loss for obese individuals.
• Reducing allergic reaction and inflammation: Broccoli even has significant amounts of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, which are well know as an anti-inflammatory.
• Powerful antioxidant: Of all the cruciferous vegetables, broccoli stands out as the most concentrated source of Vitamin C, plus the Flavonoids necessary for Vitamin C to recycle effectively. Broccoli is concentrated in Carotenoids Lutein, Zeaxanthin and Beta-Carotene, other powerful antioxidants.
• Bone health: Broccoli contains high levels of both calcium and Vitamin K, both of which are important for bone health and prevention of osteoporosis.
• Heart health: The anti-inflammatory properties of sulforaphane, one of the Isothiocyanates (ITCs) in broccoli, may be able to prevent (or even reverse) some of the damage to blood vessel linings that can be caused by inflammation due to chronic blood sugar problems.
• Aids in digestion: Broccoli is a good Carbohydrate and is high in Fibre, which aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar, and curbs overeating.
• Looking younger: Vitamin C plays a vital role in the formation of collagen, the main support system of the skin. Vitamin A and Vitamin E are also crucial for healthy looking skin, both of which broccoli provides.
• Alkalizes your body: Like many vegetables, broccoli helps keep your whole body less acidic, which has a host of health benefits like more elastic skin, youthful, abundant physical energy, suffer from fewer colds, headaches, flue episodes and good digestion.
Recipe :- Cream of Broccoli soup
|Cream Of Broccoli Soup||3 tbsp butter|
1/4 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup broccoli florets
2 cups white stock
2 tbsp plain flour (maida)
2 1/2 cups milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper powder to taste
nutmeg (jaiphal) powder to taste
For The Garnish
1/4 cup broccoli florets , blanched
|- Heat 1½ tbsp of butter in a deep pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add ¾th of the broccoli and sauté on a medium flame for a few minutes.
- Add the white stock and cook on a medium flame till the broccoli is cooked. Remove and keep aside to cool.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth purée. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1½ tbsp of butter in another deep pan, add the flour and sauté on a medium flame for a minute taking care that the flour does not discolour.
- Add the milk and simmer for 5 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Add the broccoli purée, mix well and simmer for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with broccoli florets.