Healthy cooking doesn’t mean that you have to become a gourmet chef. You can use basic cooking techniques to prepare food the healthy way.
The healthy cooking methods described here retain flavor and nutrients in foods without adding excessive amounts of fat or salt yet low in calorie.
Below mentioned are low fat and low calorie cooking techniques:
- Broiling:This technique is a fast way to cook fish, meat and poultry, as the food is kept under a direct heat source. The fat from meat simply drains away into the bottom of the pan
- Braising: In this method the food is cooked slowly in a small amount of liquid at low heat in a tightly covered vessel – usually in the oven. You can brown the food beforehand if you like. Water, broth or wine are good braising liquids.
- Baking: All kinds of koftas, which are deep fried, can be baked instead. Either you can bake the item in a pan and, when its done, cut it into squares and put the curry on top or make roundels of the mixture and put them on a baking sheet or tray and bake.
- Marinating and Grilling: The marinating method Adds flavor and tenderizes meat/ poultry/fish. Great for preparing food for the grill .By using this grilling method the fat from the food drains away.
- Microwaving: By using this technique food can be cooked with no oil or very less oil. Remember to turn food at certain intervals to ensure even cooking.
- Pan-frying/searing: Another fast and efficient way to cook meat/ poultry that seals in flavor.
- Poaching: A great way to cook fish or chicken, by gently simmering in a flavored liquid.
- Roasting: Instead of frying foods, you can dry roast. When tempering dals/beans you can either dry roast the tempering ingredients or use up to 1 tsp. oil to stir-fry them. This can be done without using a great deal of oil.
- Sauteing: This method allows us to cook food quickly in a small amount of hot oil. Make sure the oil is actually hot before the food is added, otherwise the food will absorb oil and become soggy.
- Steaming:This technique is great for fish and vegetables. Multi-level steamers allow a number of foods to be steamed simultaneously.
- Stir-frying: Cut chicken and vegetables into thin strips, lightly coat pan with oil and cook over high heat, stirring, and tossing.